In order to forge a healthier grilled cheese, we need to make some uh-mazing cauliflower crust slices of bread.
A bit of work, but totally worth it.
- Please ensure that your Cauliflower Head will yield 3 cups of Cauliflower Rice once processed.
- Grate the cheeses - separately and lightly beat the egg
- Pre-heat the oven to 220C.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and liberally grease it with olive oil. Set aside.
- FOR THE "BREAD" SLICES: In a food processor rice the cauliflower florets (it should be evenly chopped but not completely pulverized). Transfer cauliflower rice (about 3 cups) to a microwave-safe dish and microwave on high for 8 minutes, until cooked. Place the cauliflower rice in a tea towel and twist it to squeeze out as much moisture as you can. This is very important. The cauliflower rice needs to be dry, otherwise you’ll end up with mushy dough, impossible to use as slices of bread. Transfer the cauliflower rice to a mixing bowl, add the egg, mozzarella, salt and pepper and mix well. Spread cauliflower mixture onto the lined baking sheet and shape into 4 squares. Place in the oven and bake for about 16 minutes until golden. Remove them and let them cool for 10 minutes before peeling them off the baking paper (be careful not to break them!)
- FOR THE GRILLED CHEESE: Heat a pan over medium heat. Butter one side of each slice of cauliflower crust bread (preferably the top part). Place one slice of bread in the pan, buttered side down, sprinkle with the cheese and top with the remaining slice of cauliflower crust bread, buttered side up. Turn the heat down a notch and cook until golden brown, about 2 to 4 minutes. Gently flip and cook until golden brown on the other side, about 2 to 4 minutes.