Bring the flavors of France to your dinner table with Coq au Vin.
Coq au Vin is a classic French dish of chicken cooked in red wine, a surprisingly easy way to make delectable chicken.
- Preheat the oven to 160C.
- Chop bacon in 2 inch pieces. In a large cast iron pan; heat to a medium temperature and cook bacon for 4 minutes. Just until it begins to get tender (not brown). Take out of pan but leave bacon fat in pan.
- In a small bowl combine the seasoning mixture together.
- Coat chicken with combined seasoning.
- Add olive oil to the pan (with the bacon fat).
- Brown chicken for about 5 minutes on each side (you may need to do this in batches).
- Remove chicken from pan and place on a large plate.
- Add onion, celery and garlic to the pan. If necessary add a little olive oil.
- Cook for a 3 minutes and then add in mushrooms and carrots. Add salt to season.
- Add chicken and bacon in the pan.
- Pour in wine and chicken broth. Then mix in xantham gum until dissolved.
- Cover your pan and place in the oven for 1 1/2 hour.