Coffee granita is a wonderful way to enjoy a slushie drink.
Coffee granita is made with nothing but coffee and xylitol with whipped cream on top, but it's a sweet and refreshing after a heavy meal.
- Combine all ingredients and stir until sugar melts. Taste for sweetness. Make it a bit sweeter than you like as it loses sweetness when frozen.
- Pour mixture into a baking tray and place on level shelf in freezer for half an hour. (Mixture should only come about 0.5cm up the side of the tray.)
- Every half hour remove and use a dinner fork to scrape any ice crystals that have formed on the side or bottom of the pan. Return to freezer and repeat scraping every 30 minutes for 3 to 4 hours.
- Once mixture is thoroughly frozen, fluff with a fork and allow flakes to "dry" in freezer another half hour before serving. When served, the granita should look like a fluffy pile of dry brown crystals.
- Scoop into serving glasses and top with barely sweetened whipped cream.