A banting version of this classic Greek bake.
A good moussaka is a joy to behold.
- Set the oven to 180C then start making the minced lamb layer.
- LAMB LAYER: Fry the diced onion in the olive oil. Add the garlic and cook until the onion is clear. Add the minced lamb and continue to cook until all the meat is slightly browned. Add the tomatoes and spices, then cook on a low heat for 15 minutes while you make the other layers.
- AUBERGINE (EGG PLANT) LAYER: Slice the eggplants into 1-2cm slices. Heat a generous amount of olive oil in a frying pan, and fry the slices until golden on both sides. As the eggplant slices are fried, place them in a single layer on the bottom of the baking pan. Keep half the slices for another layer once we assemble the moussaka.
- BECHAMEL SAUCE: In a measuring jug, put the yogurt, crumbled feta and egg yolks. Whisk together with a fork.
- TO ASSEMBLE THE MOUSSAKA: Place the lamb mixture onto the baking dish that already has half the eggplant slices lining the bottom. Place the remaining eggplant slices, then pour the béchamel sauce over the entire dish. Sprinkle with parmesan cheese if you like.
- Bake at 180C for 20 minutes.
- NUTRITIONAL INFORMATION: Serving size: 1; serve Calories: 300; Fat: 16.2g; Carbohydrates: 8g; Protein: 20.3g