Nothing beats homemade meatballs smothered in a creamy gravy sauce.
These juicy meatballs are mouthwateringly good!
- Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large non-stick pan over medium heat. Add onion, and cook, stirring frequently, until onions have become translucent, about 2-3 minutes.
- In a large bowl, combine beef mince, pork mince, xantham gum(dissolved in a drop of luke warm water first, otherwise it clumps - pour in slowly), egg yolks, allspice, nutmeg and cooked onion; season with salt and pepper, to taste. Using a wooden spoon or clean hands, stir until well combined. Roll the mixture into 3cm-to-4cm meatballs, forming about 24 meatballs.
- Add remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil to the pan. Add meatballs, in batches, and cook until all sides are browned, about 4-5 minutes. Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate.
- To make the gravy, melt butter in the pan. Slowly add the first teaspoon of xantham gum, a few dashes at a time (or it will clump), stirring continuously, watching it thicken. Gradually whisk in beef broth and cook, whisking constantly, until slightly thickened, about 1-2 minutes. Should it not be quite thick and creamy enough, slowly add in the second teaspoon of xantham gum, a small dash at a time, watching very carefully as it works very quickly. Only add as much of the second teaspoon as you need to, if you add to much, it will turn your sauce "gooey". Stir in sour cream; season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Stir in meatballs and cook, stirring occasionally, until heated through and thickened, about 8-10 minutes.
- Serve immediately, garnished with chopped parsley, if desired.