Achar is a type of pickle, which originated in Malaysia.
Cabbage pickle is a spicy condiment with any meal. This is quick and easy to prepare.
- Wash and chop the vegetables into small pieces. Blanche in boiling water for two minutes and pour into a colander to cool and completely drain off all the water.
- Finely chop the peeled ginger. Chop the garlic and chillies into desired sizes. Finely chop the onion.
- Pour 1 cup oil into a large pot. Add the mustard seeds and heat until the seeds start popping. Quickly add the other spices followed by the onion, and fresh herbs and spices.
- Add about 1 and 1/2 teaspoons of salt. Stir well and then turn off the heat. Add the veggies and vinegar, stir well.
- Fill glass jars and place them in the fridge for a few days to allow the flavours to mingle.