How to make butter at home from scratch the old fashioned way.
It's so simple that I believe everyone needs to make homemade butter at least once.
- Pour the cream into a food processor and process for about 10 minutes. It will turn to a thick whipped cream first.
- Continue processing until it turns grainy and separate into butter and butter milk. Drain the buttermilk from the butter.
- Scrape any butter from the sides, and put in a clean bowl. Place your butter into a colander and strain off any leftover buttermilk.
- Rinse the butter with cold water, gently turning the butter with a spoon while the cold water runs over it and until the water runs clear.
- When the butter is clean, squeeze more liquid from the butter using wooden paddles or spoons to smash the butter and pour off the liquid.
- You can keep it in a jar or bowl, and store it in the fridge, or the freezer. This type of butter (if organic cream was used) can last for several months before going bad.