Every time you make vegetable stock, you will wonder why you ever bother buying it in the shop.
It is so easy and delicious!
- Peel the brown onion and chop up into chunks. Scrub and clean the celery and carrots well and chop into 2,5cm chunks. Chop the spring onions up finely.
- Heat the oil in a soup pot. Add the brown onion, celery, carrots, spring onions, garlic, parsley, thyme, and bay leaves and cook over high heat for 5 to 10 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add the salt and water and bring to the boil. Lower the heat and simmer, uncovered, for 30 minutes. Strain and discard the vegetables.
- It can be frozen for 3 months, but if not frozen must be used within 3 days.
- OTHER INGREDIENTS TO CONSIDER ADDING: mushrooms, aubergines, asparagus (butt ends), bell peppers, swiss chard spinach (stems and leaves), fresh marjoram (stems and leaves) and basil.