Creamy, buttery chicken liver paté....
Perfect as a snack with seed crackers or a meal!
- Ensure that you use very fresh livers.
- In a bowl, soak the livers in the milk for 2 hours. Drain well.
- In a large saute pan or skillet, melt 4 tablespoons of the butter over medium-high heat. Add the onions and cook, stirring, until soft, about 3 minutes. Add the garlic and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add the chicken livers, 1 tablespoon of the peppercorns, the bay leaves, thyme, salt, and pepper and cook, stirring, until the livers are browned on the outside and still slightly pink on the inside, about 5 minutes. Add the Cognac and cook until most of the liquid is evaporated and the livers are cooked through but still tender.
- Remove from the heat and let cool slightly. Discard the bay leaves.
- In a food processor, puree the liver mixture. Add the remaining butter in pieces and pulse to blend. Fold in the remaining 1 tablespoon peppercorns and adjust the seasoning, to taste.
- Pack the pate into 6 individual ramekins or small moulds, about 30g each. Cover with plastic and refrigerate until firm, at least 6 hours.